So you want to know how long to bake a potato? It takes about 1 hour at 375 degrees for a medium size Russet potato to bake. An instant read thermometer can also be used to determine when potatoes are done cooking. The internal temperature should reach about 210 degrees Fahrenheit for a fully baked potato.
How Long To Bake A Potato? – The Simple Recipe
Simple Recipe for Oven Baked Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Clean the potato by using a scrub brush
- Pierce the potato with a fork and place in the oven for about 1 hour. Check to see if the potato is done cooking by using a fork. If the potato is baked enough, the fork should easily pierce the thickest part of the potato.
How Long To Bake A Potato? – A Few Don’ts:
- Don’t wrap the potato in tin foil if you want a crispy skin. The foil traps in the moisture and will make the potato mushier.
- If you bake your potatoes with skewers heat the skewers first this will prevent the dark spots in the middle by sealing the potato first from the metal. Inserting a metal skewer will cut down on the cooking time.
- Don’t use a butter knife to open the potato because it flattens the surface. Instead use a fork to pierce the potato lengthwise and then crosswise. Then press it at both ends so the potato will open up into a blossom.
How Long To Bake A Potato? – The Basics About Potatoes
- Russet potatoes are the best baking potatoes. There are several varieties. Some popular names include the: Russet Burbank, Russet Arcadia, Norgold Russet.
- Store potatoes in a cool, dark and well ventilated environment. If you store them this way, they can be kept for several weeks. At room temperature, they will keep for about one week. Don’t wash them before storing as moisture can cause decay.
- Always use fresh potatoes when baking or cooking. Old potatoes or improperly stored potatoes can taste sweet and starchy. When buying potatoes look for potatoes that have a clean and smooth texture with no cuts or bruises. Also, the potato should be firm to the touch not soft.
- Before cooking, wash the potatoes really well by scrubbing not soaking them. The potato will lose some of it nutrients if they are soaked in water. If there are any green areas cut them off because the greening tastes bitter. The green spots mean the potato has been exposed to light in the field or in the store.
Remember, the perfect baked potato bakes up dry and fluffy, especially when you know how long to bake a potato correctly, and ready for your favorite condiments. Well, now you know how long to bake a potato, so why don’t you bake one?